Apply Give Quick Links

On Campus Online Abroad
: Admissions Office : Transient Students

Transient Students

Students Visiting MGA

  • Are you currently attending an accredited college/university and wish to take courses at MGA for one semester and transfer those courses back to your home institution?
  • You are not seeking to complete a degree at MGA.

Admissions and Requirements

Students wishing to enroll at MGA as a visiting student (transient) must submit an official application and must have their home institution send an official transient permission form to the Office of Admissions. Other documents required will include an immunization form and lawful presence document. Any other documents required, as determined by review of the application, will be listed in the students file. Students can check their application status by using the Application Status Check.

Contact your home institution to attain the requirements you need to attend MGA and determine your financial aid eligibility.

Important Dates

Tuition & Fees > Undergraduate Studies
Graduate Studies

Apply in 6 Steps

Step 1: Apply Online

Complete the online application and pay the $30 (U.S. funds) non-refundable fee.
Apply Online to MGA
Step 2: Have your home institution mail an official transient letter.
Students must be able to provide an official transient form granting the student permission to take courses at Middle Georgia State University.
Step 3: Submit unofficial or official transcripts documenting that you have met prerequisite requirements for the courses you plan to take.
Step 4: Submit a Certificate of Immunization.
Step 5: Provide Proof of Lawful Presence.

The Board of Regents of University System of Georgia (USG) has recently instituted new policies that affect all applicants who seek in-state tuition at USG institutions. According to USG policy, individuals who apply, or are re-entering, for Fall 2011 and beyond must submit documentation of US citizenship or permanent residency before being considered for in-state tuition. The following documents serve as proof of lawful presence in the United States. One of the following is required before you are eligible for in-state tuition:

  • Present an original birth certificate or send a certified birth certificate showing the applicant was born in the US or a US territory. Photocopies are not acceptable.
  • Present student’s current military ID (service member only, not dependent). Photocopies are not acceptable.
  • Copy of a current US passport.
  • Copy of a current driver’s license/ID issued by the state of Georgia after January 1, 2008. (Note: A limited license or a license issued for a period of less than two years is not acceptable.)
  • Copy of a US certificate of naturalization.
  • Copy of a US certificate of citizenship.
  • A US certificate of birth abroad issued by the Department of State or a consular report of birth abroad.
  • A current, valid Permanent Resident Card (USCIS form I-151 or I-551).
  • Eligibility for federal student aid confirmed by Financial Aid. The Middle Georgia State University FAFSA code is 001581. (Confirmation will be submitted electronically to the Admissions office.)

If you do not provide any of the above documentation, regardless of how long you have lived in Georgia, you will be classified as an out-of-state student and must pay out-of-state tuition. To avoid paying out-of-state tuition (if you believe you qualify for the in-state rate), submit one of the above documents, or complete the FAFSA as soon as possible. Once documentation is received, your application will be evaluated for in-state tuition. Please Note: If you have been classified as an out-of-state student for tuition purposes, verification of lawful presence in the United States may not change your status as an out-of-state student. Additional information may be needed.

Step 6: Contact your home institution regarding financial aid processes as a transient student

Your home institution determines financial aid eligibility and disbursement of aid. Students should contact their home institution to determine if tuition and fee payment will need to be made to MGA prior to disbursement of funds from home institution.

Contact Information

For Admissions

Mail your documentation to the following address:

Middle Georgia State University
Office of Admissions
100 University Parkway
Macon, GA 31206

Contact Admissions with questions:

Phone: 478.471.2725 or Email:

For Course Registration

Transient students may visit the Registrar’s Office in Cochran or Macon to register, or they may phone or email the office.

  • Office of the Registrar Macon – Student Life Center, 2nd floor. (478) 471-2900;
  • Office of the Registrar Cochran – Grace Hall, 1st floor. (478) 934-3036;

Current MGA Students

  • Current students enrolled at MGA that are planning to take a class during the summer or for a semester at a different institute will need to complete the Transient Permission Form.
  • Students seeking transient status will need approval from the appropriate Advisor, Chair/Dean. Once completed and signed, the form needs to be sent to the Registrar's office for final processing. The transient permission form is good for one semester only. Additional semesters will require students to complete another Transient Permission Form.

Requirements and Resources

Apply for Aid

Financial Aid Funds

Apply for Summer Aid

Apply for Scholarship

Consortium Agreement

Transient students may visit the Registrar’s Office in Cochran or Macon to register, or they may phone or email the office.

  • Office of the Registrar Macon – Student Life Center, 2nd floor. (478) 471-2900;
  • Office of the Registrar Cochran – Grace Hall, 1st floor. (478) 934-3036;

Contact your advisor for questions. Click here for help finding your advisor.

  LAST MODIFIED: 7/17/2017