Apply Give Quick Links

: Financial Aid : Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Questions answered at
For all your
Financial Aid questions
How do I apply for federal financial aid?
Complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or a Renewal FAFSA online at The application should be done each year as soon as possible after January 1st. It is recommended that it is completed in time for us to receive it by the posted fall current year deadline. It is also recommended that students and parents use the IRS data retrieval tool available on the FAFSA website. In order to use this tool, tax returns need to be submitted about four weeks before the FAFSA is completed.
What is Middle Georgia State University's Title IV School Code?
Middle Georgia State University’s code is 001581.
When should I apply?
Financial aid eligibility must be established each academic year. Priority is given to students whose files are complete by posted semester deadlines each year. Meeting these deadlines allow adequate processing time to better ensure funds are awarded by the beginning of the semesters as well as consideration for all types of financial aid, including limited funds such as Supplemental Education Opportunity Grant (SEOG) and Federal Work Study (FWS).
Can I use my W-2 forms to complete the FAFSA?
No. You should complete your tax forms (1040, 1040A, 1040EZ, etc.) and then use that information to complete your FAFSA.
Is there someone who can help me complete my financial aid forms?
Yes. Students may complete the FASFA on-line in the Financial Aid Office at the Macon, Cochran and Warner Robins campuses with financial aid representatives close by to help. Financial Aid representatives are also located at the Dublin and Eastman campuses to assist if needed. (Please bring applicable year tax returns for use in completing the FAFSA.)
How long does the financial aid process take?
Awards are made in the order in which files are completed. Generally, processing time from the date all required documents are received is up to 6 weeks. However, during peak processing periods, processing time can be longer.
What happens to my financial aid if I withdraw from all my classes?
Withdrawing from all classes will negatively impact your completion rate and possibly affect your eligibility for future aid. Additionally, if you withdraw from all courses during the semester, you may be required to return some of your financial aid.
What does it mean if I was selected for verification?
Verification is a process initiated not by the college but by the U.S. Department of Education, where the information provided on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is compared with the student (and parent/spouse) tax information and/or other documents that were used to complete the FAFSA. The Department of Education randomly selects applicants for this process. Once selected for verification, you must provide the Financial Aid Office with the requested documents. Financial aid awards will not be made until the verification review process is completed. Therefore, it is important that all documents requested be submitted to the Financial Aid Office in a timely manner.
I live on my own and my parents do not help me, nor do they claim me on their tax return so, why am I not classified as an independent student?
The US Department of Education asks several questions in step 3 of the FAFSA to determine if a student will be considered independent for federal financial aid purposes. Please refer to the current year FAFSA for a list of these questions. If you cannot answer YES to at least one of these questions according to instructions provided, you must include your parent's (including adoptive parents and step-parents if applicable) information. You cannot use grandparents' or other relatives' information even if you live with them. If you have questions about parents' information or to discuss if you possibly meet the requirements to apply for a dependency override, please contact one of our financial aid offices for assistance.
I am an International Student. Am I eligible for Federal Aid?
Students in the United States on an F1 or F2 student visa, a J1 or J2 exchange visitor visa, or a G series visa (pertaining to international organizations) are not eligible to receive federal financial aid. Those students may, however, be eligible for institutional scholarships. There are other non-citizen visa types that may be eligible for federal financial aid. Generally, eligible non-citizen categories include: (1) a permanent resident with an Registration Receipt Card (I-551); (2) a conditional permanent resident (I-551C); (3) an eligible non-citizen with an arrival record (I-94) from the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service showing any one of the following designations: 'refugee', 'asylum granted', 'indefinite parole', 'humanitarian parole', or 'Cuban-Haitian entrant'.
What about aid for summer semester?
Generally, awards are for fall and spring semesters. Students wishing to apply for summer semester aid will need to contact the financial aid office for information related to summer requirements.
How do I apply for a loan?
All students are offered federal student loans based on eligibility at the time their file is reviewed. Students are required to accept or decline loan awards via their SWORDS account. Please click here for instructions on this process.
Should I wait to complete the admissions process before I apply for financial aid?
No, you can do both at the same time. However, financial aid cannot be awarded until you have been officially admitted into the college.
I sent my FAFSA application several months ago and have not heard anything. How can I find out the status?
First, check your financial aid account via SWORDS to determine if the College has received your Institutional Student Information Report (ISIR) or if additional documents are needed. If the College has not received the ISIR, you should go on-line at to check your FAFSA submission or call 1-800-433-3243, the Federal processor.
Can I make changes on my Student Aid Report?
If you review your Student Aid Report from the Department of Education and determine that changes need to be made, you can make corrections on-line at You will need your PIN number to make corrections on the web. If you are unsure of whether a correction is needed or required, please contact the financial aid office for assistance.
How do I obtain a FSA ID?
If you don't have a FSA ID or you have forgotten it, you may request a FSA ID or duplicate to complete a FAFSA online at If you are a dependent student, your parent must have their own FSA ID to sign the application also.
How many hours must I take to receive my student loan funds?
To receive loan funds, students must be enrolled at least half-time (6 or more semester hours). If at any time during the loan period the enrollment status drops to below half-time, the loan is terminated and no additional payment can be made.
What happens if I repeat a course?

Middle Georgia State Financial Aid Course Repeat Guidelines

If a student receives a ‘W’ or an ‘F’ in a course:
  • A student is allowed to repeat the same course and receive federal financial aid until a ‘D’ grade or better is earned for the class (normal SAP policy still applies in such cases).
    • Once the student has achieved a ‘D’ grade or better, they can repeat the same course a second time and still receive financial aid. If a student withdraws before completing the course that they are being paid Title IV funds for retaking, then it is not counted as their one allowed retake for that course.
    • If a student passed a class once and then is repaid for retaking it and fails the second time, that failure counts as their paid retake and the student may not be repaid for retaking the course a third time.
If a student elects to take a repeat class for the same course a third time:
  • Once a ‘D’ grade or better has been earned, the class cannot be factored into federal financial aid enrollment eligibility.
  • This rule applies whether or not a student received federal financial aid in earlier enrollments of the course.
If a student has exceeded their attempts on receiving federal financial aid for a class:
  • It is irrelevant for financial aid purposes if a student is required to retake a class to meet major/program GPA requirements.
  • It is irrelevant if a student has a personal desire to receive an improved grade.
If a student who received an incomplete in a course in a prior term enrolls in subsequent term:
  • To complete the coursework in the subsequent term to erase the incomplete in the prior term, the student is not considered to be enrolled in the course for the subsequent term, therefore not eligible for Title IV aid.
  • If a student is retaking the entire course for credit in a subsequent term, the hours in the course count toward the student’s enrollment status, and the student may receive Title IV funds for retaking the course.
Course Example 1st Class Attempt 2nd Class Attempt 3rd Class Attempt Would 3rd Attempted Class Be Eligible for Federal Financial Aid?
MATH 1101 F D W eligible for aid on a 4th attempt

  LAST MODIFIED: 6/7/2016