Planning and Assessment Processes
The Office of Institutional Effectiveness coordinates the institutional Planning & Assessment process to ensure that all academic, administrative services, and academic and student support services programs follow a uniform procedure that supports SACSSOC Standards 2.5 and 3.3.1. The Middle Georgia State University Assessment Council, made up of MGA faculty and staff, provides additional oversight, ensuring the quality of assessment across five campuses.
While OIE is responsible for maintaining institutional Planning & Assessment processes, the Vice Presidents and heads of the Administrative Offices (Academic Affairs, Fiscal Affairs, Enrollment Management, Student Affairs, External Affairs, Institutional Advancement, or Technology Resources) have ultimate responsibility for utilizing assessment to support and document decision making processes in their respective institutional areas.
All academic, administrative services, and academic and student support services programs follow the following process:
- By August 15 of each year, all academic and administrative units submit an annual assessment report and plan for each of their programs to the Office of Institutional Effectiveness. The reports are disseminated to the Middle Georgia State University Assessment Council.
- By September 15, the Assessment Council provides feedback on reports and plans to academic and administrative unit heads, requesting any necessary clarification or additional information.
- By October 01, all unit heads submit final assessment plans and reports and any associated Budget Adjustment Justification forms* to their immediate supervisor, to the Vice President or head of their home Office, and to the Office of Institutional Effectiveness.
Academic and administrative units with emerging budgetary needs may choose to submit mid-year assessment reports to document need. The following additional step is optional, not required:
- By January 10, academic and administrative units with emerging budgetary needs submit a mid-year assessment report and Budget Adjustment Justification form* to their immediate supervisor, to the Vice President or head of their home Office, and to the Office of Institutional Effectiveness.
* Budget Adjustment Justification forms must also be attached to the annual MGA budget request form of the appropriate unit.