GIL Express is a resource sharing program that allows faculty, staff and currently enrolled students of all University System of Georgia (USG) libraries to borrow books from
from all eligible circulating collections in the USG libraries. This is a service for books only. Other types of resources, including journal articles, may be obtained using MGA’s Interlibrary Loan service. Click here for the Interlibrary Loan page.
There are two ways to access the material:
- In Person - you may go to any USG library and check out the books that you wish to use from that library. You will need your MGA ID or a valid picture ID to check out books from other institutions.
- Online - you may search the Universal Catalog and request delivery of the books to the library of your choice. GIL Express books typically arrive within three business days.
- Loan Period - books may be borrowed for 28 days.
- Pick Ups and Returns - books may be delivered to any USG library. At MGA, the GIL Express delivery campuses are Macon, Cochran, and Dublin, but patrons at the Eastman and Warner Robins campuses can have their books sent via campus shuttle from one of those 3 delivery locations. A GIL Express book is held at the pick up library for 10 days. If the book is not picked up in this time, it will be returned to the lending library. Patrons may return their books to any USG library.
- Renewals - books are available for 2 online renewals unless the item has been recalled. Renewals must be made through the patron’s GIL account. Overdue books can be renewed as long as they have not reached “Lost” status.
- Overdue item(s) - overdue books can be renewed as long as they have not reached “Lost” status.
- Lost Material(s) - each library sets its own price for the replacement of a lost book. Lost books block your ability to borrow or renew from all USG libraries, including MGA libraries. Patron accounts will be blocked when a book reaches “Lost” status.
Visit the USG GIL Express website for a complete description of the policies and procedures. Please contact Kathy Adams (Dublin), Meredith Murray (Cochran and Eastman), or Bonita Tharpe (Macon and Warner Robins) to learn more about GIL Express. Click here for the staff directory.