Additions and Changes to General Education Curriculum
As a University System of Georgia institution, Middle Georgia State University must comply with
Board of Regents (BoR) policy and procedure about the development and approval of all general
education (Core Curriculum) courses and programming. Section 2.4 of the BoR Academic and
Student Affairs Handbook gives detailed information about general education classes, including
approval procedures; guidelines for course inclusion in Areas A-F of the core; prerequisite and
exceptions rules; and common core, prefixes, suffices, and descriptions. The USG website also
offers guidance on appropriate content in Area F for many degrees and majors. Finally, all
general education courses must align with MGA’s BoR approved General Education Student
Learning Outcomes. (Link to Catalog)
In addition to the basic MGA curriculum approval process, general education curriculum must
also be approved by the MGA General Education Council, by the appropriate discipline-specific
Regents Advisory Committee, and by the Regents General Education Council. Because the
General Education Council meets infrequently, it is critical that those developing General
Education curriculum closely follow the Curriculum Development and Approval Calendar.
General Education Curriculum Step-By-Step Approval Process
- A faculty member submits a curriculum proposal and submits a curriculum proposal to the department Chair
(if applicable) and the school Dean for approval.
- The Dean submits the approved proposal to the Office of Academic Affairs.
- The Assistant Provost for Academic Planning and Policy reviews the proposal for compliance with institutional, Board of Regents, and SACSCOC policy and grants provisional approval from the Office of Academic Affairs.
- The General Education Council reviews all General Education proposals to assure they
conform to Board of Regency General Education policy and procedure.
- The Council submits approved forms to the Office of Academic Affairs.
- The Office of Academic Affairs submits approved forms to the Academic Affairs
- The Academic Affairs Committee grants approval and submits approved forms to the
Office of Academic Affairs.
- The Provost grants approval and submits approval from the Office of Academic Affairs and uses the BoR web form to
submit the proposal to the appropriate Regents Advisory Committee.
General Education Proposal Forms